Wednesday, September 29, 2004

I just got word from mom this morning that Grandma passed away. I guess dad and Auntie Jeanne (I assume) were at her bedside. I'm sort of relieved that she's out of her misery now and the family can move on from this holding pattern we were all in while grandma was in the hospital.

I'm really glad Grant, Owen and I were able to see her last week. I didn't think she was deteriorating that quickly that she wouldn't be around this weekend coming up, but that's how quickly things can change. I suspect the funeral will be on Saturday or Sunday, so I've booked another car for Friday the 1st to the 6th. I should be able to get off Friday, Monday and Tuesday from work.

I didn't get to talk to grandma much last week - it was pretty hard to see her in the state she was in. I'm glad that I did get to see her and say my goodbyes. I never got to do that with any of my other grandparents, so it's nice that I had the chance with Grandma D. She was a great woman who led a very dignified life, but had to remain stubborn until the end.

It's going to be weird missing her dynamic at family events. She was a family uniter and it will be interesting to see what happens next.

I'll miss you, Grandma.